Friday, October 5, 2007

A Pet's Eye View of History

I have lived for my whole life in this old house, never seeing anywhere else in the world then my home in Tylertown. Though Ruby's mom took care of me I was really just Ruby's German Shepard James. Ruby was a six year old black girl living in a town with black and whites. I remember her coming home from her normal day of school and telling her mom and pa about how in school she took a test that would say wether that child was allowed to go to a school with better teachings.When the test came back her mom said that Ruby was one out of six black children who would be allowed to go to a white school . Two of those kids said no and that they would rather stay at their old school than go to a school of people who hated them. The other three were sent to McDonogh Elementary, but Ruby was sent to William Frantz Elementary School. Though I was happy for Ruby I was sad for her for she was the only black child. Though I could not express this to her for I was a lazy, old, and fat dog. When parents found out that a black girl was going to the school, they started to protest. They took their kids out of school, and they threw tomatoes at Ruby as she walked to school. She was just a six year old, and when I imaged these horrible things I could hardly stand it. It got worse and worse over time. Oh how I wished I could go to school with Ruby and make her feel better. As things went on her father wanted to take her out of this school, but her mother wanted her to stay for the learning she was getting was much better then what she had ever gotten. Slowly kids returned to school. The kids that had not come back went to some school where blacks were still not allowed.But the kids that did return became Ruby's friend. Every day when Ruby would come home to do her homework and eat dinner, she'd tell her parents about all the great things and bad things, and every day I would sit there listening to what my dear owner had to say about her life. Though I didn't see this in person, I mean not person, through my dog eyes, but learned it from what she told her Mother and Father. I was eavesdropping. If I could go back in time before I died and before Ruby died and I could talk to her, and she would understand me, I would tell her about all of this and how I felt for her.We are both dead now and I will never be able to lay my head on her lap again.

No comments: